Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day Two.

Monica, Heather, and me killing time at the Johannesburg airport.
 Our tiny airplane from Johannesburg to Ndola.

We landed in Zambia, and I was very surprised about the airport we were at. We used the stairs to get out of the plane, and then walked into a small building - one where the baggage claim consisted of a whole in the wall and airport security handing luggage out. We then went through the door, where we were greeted by a very excited Ba Charles and Pastor Judy. Our bus drivers, Ba Mwambe and Ba Musonda, were also there.

Pure joy basically exploded from me when I saw our bus for the first time. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it, but this bus was amazing. It was bright sky blue and across the flat windshield it read "GUIDE ME LORD." On the back window, was an "I love Ndola" sticker. Entering the bus was an even more exiting experience. The seats were covered in plastic and there were little mini seats that folded down into the aisle to make rows of 4 across the interior of the bus. 

We drove around and dropped each group of, one by one, at their host homes. We were the third group of four to be dropped of and we were so excited to see our place and meet our host family. I was again surprised by what was in front of us. I was expecting a place similar to the other two groups - one that was in a more rural area and probably a small house. Instead, we were in the city - on a very busy street and on the fifth floor of a very nice apartment building.

We entered the apartment and met our hosts, 22-year-old Musonda, with her baby, Asia and 14-year-old Margaret. They also had some friends over, but I don't remember their names. They gave us time to settle in and find our way around the apartment. The three girls from the team that I was rooming with and I were in one room together and it was so cute. All four beds were lined up against the wall and had pink, silky comforters on the beds. Prof. Trujillo was also with us, but she was in her own room down the hall.

An excerpt from my journal gives an idea of how I was feeling after arriving:
"It was interesting riding around Ndola in the bus today. We saw so many different types of living - from run down flats to completely gated-up communities. We, as a team, definitely stand out whenever we go anywhere, and it's a challenge being such an outsider. Ba Charles' wife, Ba Margaret, has been very hospitable and welcoming, though. She brought us down to get a snack after we got to the apartment (it was the longest/slowest walk to the shop downstairs that I think I've ever experienced) and then us girls rested for like 3 hours - just passed out on our beds and fell asleep...After dinner (macoroni, meatballs, cabbage, and water), we taught Margaret how to play Dutch Blitz and the five of us did that for a while. Being here has been everything I was NOT expecting, but everything has really been great. Even as uncomfortable and awkward it may be at times, everything is so good. I'm so excited to go to Hope house tomorrow and meet all the kids.. I just really can't believe that I am here, in Zambia, experiencing something I never have before. So much excitement in me right now."

...

Today, I am missing Zambia a lot. I miss the girls and playing hand games and laughing with them. I miss the sound and smell of Hope Village and I miss bus rides with the team. Most things get better with time, except for missing - that only seems to get worse. So, today, I'm remembering and enjoy thinking about all of the people I fell in love with across the world.

love love.
Chels.

No comments:

Post a Comment